Tuesday, August 01, 2006

On 0-41 of Dune; 2

Herbert has created this space-going society that we can't really place definitively in one of the distant future or the distant past. it could be either and it's a little bit of both, right. it's feudal, it's patriarchal, it's mystical, it's about family and rites of passage and vendetta and prophecy ... and the book has barely started.
It's interesting to me that you try to place this book in our world and our own reality. I find that more often than not I am so completely engaged in a story, sci fi in particular, that I forget about the world that I live in unless the book explicitely makes references to obvious real history or facts. For example, countries, like in Ender's Game, or people, like in The Alienist. If I had to pick a time for this book I would categorize it into what I think of as, for lack of a better term, future's future: thousands of years ahead of today, in the aftermath of society's prime. In my head, this category is largely dominated by book where the reality is at odds with our reality in that there is a society that is either unlike anything we've recorded -- "futurific" -- or similar to distant history -- "primitive" -- and this society is juxtaposed with a technology level that is the opposite, e.g. society is futurific and technology is primitive, or visa versa. Does that make sense? I realize this was not your argument but I was struck by the idea of trying to place it in our reality at all.

shoot ... sometimes i want to say the Litany Against Fear it's such a great mantra.
Word. It is the one thing that stayed with me to this day from reading the book long ago. In fact, I actually forgot where I heard it. (Also forgot it verbatim but the idea of it haunts me from time to time so I'm glad I finally found it again.)

as for whatever it is the bene gesserit are doing ... i think all we can say at this point is
Ah, you write with knowledge of more of the book than I have. (i.e., What the fuck is "germ plasm"?)(Don't answer that.)

any thoughts on the spice?
Quick thought: I maintain that the Baron's Mentat is not "human" (as defined by the BG). Mentat are by definition logical and goverened by reason. How then, is he addicted to a spice? He must be fallible...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home