Monday, July 31, 2006

Dune, p41; Chess, 1

It is hard for me to put the book down. I remember so little of the book but here and there I get glimpses of suspenseful memories and so I want to plow through. I haven't.
I love this chess game that's being played. How many moves ahead does each party already see? I am also intrigued by the juxtaposition of the two heirs, both smart and wise beyond their years, yet still so obviously children with their know-it-all attitudes.
What do you think of the gom-jabber? Is overcoming pain -- emotion? -- really all that seperates humanity from the animal kingdom? So far that makes only Jessica and Paul human for sure, and a few characters decidedly animal: The Baron is obese, his Mentat is addicted to spice, Dr. Yueh will commit crimes for love. I wonder where Feyd-Rautha will fall, and how.
Why do the Bene-Gesserit customarily only test females?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home